Home See and enjoy List of Sightseeing Spots The Sightseeing Spots details

Tomioka Municipal Okabe Onko Museum

368_ext_01_0_L.jpg
The Onko Museum was opened in April 1984 as the Okabe Onko Museum Foundation, commemorating the history of the Okabe family who were one of the wealthiest merchants in the area during the Edo Era (1603-1868). Mr. Sadanobu Okabe, the 11th generation of the family shared the historical documents and artworks that were passed down the generations on his belief that cultural heritage should belong to the community. When the foundation dissolved, it donated its facilities and documents to Tomioka. Tomioka has been managing and maintaining the museum since 1990.
Embellish everyday life
Throughout the year, the museum uses the first building exhibition hall to mainly exhibit the collection from a local wealthy merchant/farmer, Okabe Family, and occasionally exhibits gramophones, magic lanterns, paintings, and serving bowls used in entertainments.
Household tools
Throughout the year, the museum uses the second building exhibition hall to exhibit the documents related to linen produced in the Nyu area as well as household tools such as chests made from paulownia wood, lamps, lanterns and hibachis, exchanging them from time to time.
Local men of letters
Throughout the year, the museum uses the third building exhibition hall to exhibit works made by men of letters such as Dogan Arai, Nanyo Inui, and Beian Ichikawa, who were locally oriented in Kanra and Tomioka area or other parts of Gunma, exchanging them from time to time.
Business hours :
From 10:00 to 16:00 (last admission at 15:30)
Days we are closed
On Monday (in the case of holiday the next day)
From December 29 to January 3
Admission Fee (individual)
Adult: 100 yen
Junior high school student and younger : free of charge
Admission Fee (group)
Adult: 60 yen
Junior high school student and younger : free of charge
Map information
Reference of this page
Location
2395, Kaminyu, Tomioka-shi, Gunma
Phone number 0274-67-3791